Wrentham dentist describes the signs of mercury poisoning
Dr. Ross Palioca, dentist of Advanced Dental Practices, is a quality professional who wants to help patients in improving not only their smiles, but their overall health and wellbeing. He achieves this by offering a wide range of biocompatible dental solutions. This also applies to placing fillings without the use of silver amalgam.
What is silver amalgam?
For many years, dentists have placed fillings made from silver amalgam. This material consists of approximately 50 percent mercury. Mercury is a substance toxic to the human body. When the filling is heated, which can happen when drinking hot beverages or from the friction of chewing food, it releases a vapor that can enter into the body. This can result in mercury poisoning.
What are the signs of mercury poisoning?
Mercury can cause a wide range of issues within the body. It can damage the digestive system, causing colitis, loss of appetite, and unexplained weight loss. It also causes neurological concerns including tremors, lack of concentration, memory loss, and slurred speech. The lungs, heart, muscles, and joints are also at risk for developing problems due to mercury toxicity, making it a serious concern that should be addressed with proper care and attention by a medical and dental professional.
Instead of using silver amalgam fillings for cavities, our practice uses composite resin. Composite resin is more aesthetic, affordable, and safer than silver amalgam. Patients have found that if they have been experiencing the symptoms of mercury toxicity when their overall health improves after they have had their fillings replaced. Many of the issues caused by mercury toxicity will reverse once the material is no longer in the body.
Dr. Ross Palioca wants to educate his patients on the advantages of avoiding silver amalgam fillings in the smile to eliminate the risks associated with mercury toxicity. He can be reached by calling (508) 456-7111 to make an appointment.
Back to Dangers of Mercury Home Page